The Steam Infusion Vaction Technology
The Steam Infusion Vaction™ Unit is a disruptive device that sits within a cooking vessel and uses steam as the motive force to heat, mix and pump liquids with and without particulates. The advanced food processing device can heat 1,000kg of product from 15 to 90°c in 5 minutes with no burn or particulate damage.
How the Steam Infusion Vaction Unit Works?
1) The Vaction™ Unit sits within the cooking vessel flooded with product as culinary grade steam is introduced via the steam lance. It has no moving parts and uniquely uses steam to simultaneously heat, mix and pump the product. The following is based upon operating at a 6 Bar steam pressure; by changing the controlled steam pressure, the processing conditions are changed within the Vaction™ unit to achieve the required product characteristics.
2) Profiling within the steam chamber accelerates the velocity of the steam to 1,000m/s, above the speed of sound. The steam passes into the mixing chamber through an annular nozzle, disrupting the fluid flow to form small droplets, referred to as the vapour phase. The momentum transfer from steam to the product and creates a partial vacuum of -0.7 Bar within the unit.
3) As the steam condenses into the fluid droplets, the pressure rises. This is referred to as the condensation shock-wave and generates a pumping effect. The small droplets within the low-pressure vapour phase offer a significantly increased product surface area for the steam to condense into, typically resulting in a near instantaneous temperature gradient in the order of 10 to 15°C.
4) The very short residence times and partial vacuum within the unit prevent exposure to excessive temperatures. There are no hot contact surface areas / hot spots and therefore the Steam Infusion process stops Maillard reactions and burn-on contamination to products.
5) An unrestricted Vaction™ unit pumps at a rate of 55,000 kg/hr on water at 20°C and the turbulent mixing conditions in the low-pressure vapour area enhance the transfer of flavours. The Vaction™ unit has an uninhibited bore of 47mm enabling particulates to freely pass through the unit.